Unit 13: Reason with shapes
Expectations & Key Concepts Students will be assessed on:
- Identify, describe, sort, and draw 2-dimensional shapes based on their attributes (e.g., square corners, number of sides, number of angles, number of parallel sides).
- Partition shapes and sets into equal shares.
- Partition a rectangle into rows and columns of the same size unit to find the area.
- Use words and models to describe equal shares (e.g., half, half of).
- Recognize that equal shares of the same whole do not have to be the same shape.
- Compose and decompose shapes into smaller shapes.
- Recognize that the same fractional parts of different-size unit wholes are not equal.
- Find the area of a shape on a grid using counting, repeated addition, and reasoning strategies.
- Recognize that different shapes can have the same area.
Amazing site for fostering a love of math. This site has mobile friendly games that helps students explore & use math. Have fun!!!