Unit 1: Welcome to 2nd Grade
Expectations & Key Concepts for Students
- Represent addition and subtraction situations using multiple representations (e.g., stories, drawings, counters, number sentences, number lines, diagrams, ten frames).
- Use mental math strategies and reasoning strategies (e.g., using doubles, making ten) to solve addition and subtraction problems within 20.
- Use addition and subtraction to solve one- and two-step word problems involving join, separate/take away, part-whole, and compare situations.
- Identify the relationship between pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.
- Find the value of a collection of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.
- Read a table, bar graph, or picture graph to solve problems about a data set.
- Demonstrate fluency with the addition facts in Group +1 Triangle Cards and Group +2 Triangle Cards
- Determine the unknown number in an addition or subtraction sentence relating three whole numbers for the facts in Groups +1 and Group +2.